MD, FAAPMR (Physiatry)
Dr. Cabrita joins the team at CPRI as a Sports Physiatrist. Dr. Cabrita has a unique combination of skills that blend her expertise and training to provide comprehensive evaluations and individualized treatment plans. Her hands on approach and compassion for her patients drives her innovative methods that have proven results. She chose Physiatry as she has enthusiasm and passion to help patients make positive changes in their lives.
Dr. Cabrita completed her undergraduate degree in Integrated Sciences at UBC and medical school in London, England. She did residency training in both Family Medicine and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. She is board-certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation with subspecialty expertise in Sports Medicine and Pain Medicine. She excels at musculoskeletal and sports rehabilitation with a particular interest in myofascial disorders of the spine, shoulders, hips, knees and sport related concussion. She has advanced training and expertise in ultrasound-guided and joint and tendon procedures.
Dr. Cabrita believes in a holistic approach and strives to provide the best care possible. She uses her various skill sets to tailor a treatment plan that suits each individual’s philosophy and needs. Her broad base of knowledge and expertise allows for an integrated plan centered around the function you desire, whether it be return to work, treating a painful condition or gaining peak athletic performance.
Dr. Cabrita focuses on muscle medicine to deliver cutting-edge medical and therapeutic expertise to address muscle imbalances that impact your biomechanics leading to common orthopedic injuries. Her approach has proven successful for athletes of all ages and abilities to restore muscle health, prevent injuries, recover faster and do it all without drugs or surgery. Her goal is to achieve optimal outcomes that reduce pain, restore quality of life and maximize performance.
She promotes healing partnerships, educating patients in self-care, disease prevention and lifelong skills to employ and maintain their best health. In the end, she will come up with a plan that is specific to your needs and that you are happy with.
Dr. Cabrita is dedicated to the health and wellbeing of the community and encouraging exercise as medicine. She has published peer reviewed research articles, and book chapters on sports and pain conditions. Dr. Cabrita lectures on musculoskeletal and sports injuries and concussions both locally and internationally. She has extensive experience providing medical coverage for high schools, universities, community teams and organizations of all athletic abilities including professional. Dr. Cabrita provides leadership as an expert on community medical advisory boards for injury prevention, wellness and concussion management.
I grew up in the greater Vancouver, BC area. I really enjoy the healthy lifestyle of the Northwest and cheering for our local sports teams. I devoted 14 years post grad to my passion and love for medicine. People who know me best know I love what I do and love my family. They both keep me motivated in different ways.
When I’m not in clinic, I am typically teaching or reading to stay current with research and advanced technology and procedures. I love traveling, biking and outdoor activities with my husband, two sons, and my two dogs.
- Sports and spine medicine
- Musculoskeletal medicine
- Myofascial trigger points and fascial release
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Ultrasound guided joint and tendon procedures
- Sport Concussion Management
- Athletic Performance
- Preventative Health
- Regenerative Medicine
- Wellness Medicine
- Board Certified in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Sports Medicine Qualification
- Fellowship, Sports Medicine, University of Kansas.
- Residency, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Emory University, Atlanta GA.
- Residency, Family Medicine, Atlanta Medical Center, GA
- MD, Doctor of Medicine, St. Chris College of Medicine, London, England.
- Bachelor of Sciences, Honors, Integrated Sciences, University of British Columbia
- Licensure in Medicine and Surgery College of Physicians & Surgeons of BC, Washington, Georgia.
- Physiatry and Sport Medicine Specialist, Fortius Sport and Health
- BC Public Service Agency, Chair for Claims Review Committee
- Consultant and specialty expert for medical legal reports and testimony
- Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) Wellness Advisory Board
- Former practice at UBC Allan McGavin Sports Centre.
- Former practice EvergreenHealth Sport and Spine Care, Kirkland, Washington.
- Former Contractor for Veteran Evaluation Services and CenseoHealth
- EvergreenHealth Sport and Safety Advisory Board
- SafeKids Eastside Coalition
- Yahoo Canada- Performance Enhancing Drug Interview
- KING 5 News/New Day Northwest: Concussion Interview
- KOMO/KVI Radio Talks
- Case presentations ACSM, AMSSM, AAPM&R, AAP
- Book Editor ReThink Chronic Pain
- Book Chapters: Rehabilitation Medicine Quick Reference Series
- Publications: Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise and Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine
- Rehab in Review Journal, Author and Editor
- Chief Medical Officer for Junior Grand Prix Skate Canada
- Medical Director for CrossFire Premiere Soccer Tournament U9-19
- UBC Varsity athletics
- Vancouver Canucks
- Vancouver Whitecaps
- BC Lions Football
- Juanita HS Football, Kirkland WA
- Wichita Wingnuts Professional: American Association of Independent Baseball
- Wichita Wings-Professional: Major Indoor Soccer League
- Wichita Thunder-Minor League-Central Hockey League
- Wichita State University NCAA Div 1, MBB, WBB, WVB, XC/Track, BB, SB, Golf, Tennis, Dance, Cheer
- Newman University NCAA Div 2 MS, WS, MBB, WBB, WVB, SB, XC/TRK, Golf, Tennis, Wrestling, Cheer
- Atlanta Silverbacks Coed Soccer, Atlanta Men’s League BB
- Medical coverage: Combat Games Mixed Martial Arts, Seattle Mist Women’s Football, Women’s NBA, Atlanta Dream, Mixed Martial Arts and Muay Thai, Georgia Fighters, Atlanta Publix Georgia Marathon and Atlanta Special Olympics.
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Medicine, Division of PM&R, UBC
- Doctors of British Columbia
- Doctors of BC Section of Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Canadian Medical Association
- Association of Academic Physiatrists
- American Academy of PM&R (AAPMR)
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine (AMSSM)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- Spine Interventional Society
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Advanced Team Physician
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
MD, MSc (PT), FRCPC (Physiatry), FRCPC (Pain Medicine)
Dr. Chen is a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation and Pain Medicine specialist in the Vancouver and Kelowna areas. She completed her medical degree at the University of Calgary, residency training in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Dalhousie University in Halifax, and residency training in Pain medicine at the University of British Columbia. As well, she completed a Master of Science degree in Physical Therapy at the University of Toronto and undergraduate training in Kinesiology at the University of Alberta.
Her clinical interests are spasticity, migraine management, and interventional pain medicine including fluoroscopic and ultrasound guided procedures. She is a consultant physician at the Transitional Pain Clinic at Vancouver General Hospital. She is also co-founder of Initium Pain Clinic in Abbotsford, BC. Her hobbies include hiking and skiing, and eating good pastries. She is a fan of the Edmonton Oilers.
MD, Licensed Canadian Specialist in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, Electrodiagnostic Medicine
Dr. Ho is a Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PM&R) specialist having completed his fellowship training at the University of British Columbia. His areas of special interest include electrodiagnostic medicine (diagnosing and managing nerve and muscle problems), sports and exercise injuries, and ultrasound guided peripheral musculoskeletal injections (including corticosteroid, viscosupplementation, peripheral nerve blocks such as carpal tunnel injections, and trigger point therapy).
A newly minted Clinical Instructor at UBC under the Faculty of Medicine, Dr. Ho was also awarded the 2019 UBC Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Division Resident Educator Award for excellence and dedication to resident teaching.
Dr. Ho's background includes four years of study in Human Kinetics at the University of British Columbia, where he was also an athletic therapist for the UBC Varsity Field Hockey team as well as Field Hockey Canada. After obtaining his MD in 2015, he has also helped provide medical coverage for many major sporting events including the IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships, Canada Cup Softball, Skate Canada Nationals, and the Harry Jerome Track Classic.
When not in the clinic, "RoHo" enjoys following traveling the world to watch major sports, collecting entertainment memorabilia, and kickboxing at his local UFC gym.
MD, FRCPC (Anesthesiology)
Dr Aniz Khalfan is an Anesthesiologist practicing in the Greater Vancouver Area. She is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada.
Aniz completed her Medical degree in the United Kingdom and her Residency in Anesthesia at the University of British Columbia. She has over 30 years of experience in Anesthesia and held the position of Chief of Anesthesia at St Mary's Hospital.
Presently Dr Khalfan has a focused Pain practice. She has been helping patients with chronic pain for the last 8 years. She applies the best available knowledge and incorporates evidence-based medicine in the field of Chronic Pain.
Her clinical practice includes management of a variety of conditions, including myofascial pain and her Interventional Pain Practice includes trigger point injections. For support toward this she was honoured with a grant from the Royal College in 2013.
Dr Khalfan has a Passion and Special Interest in Chronic Pain Education in a group setting and has been leading Group Pain Education classes for the past 8 years. She is Stanford Certified to deliver the Empowered Relief Pain Education Program and holds certificates for Sleep management and nutrition for chronic pain She is also a Certified Leader for the University of Victoria Self Management Program
Aniz is very involved in Teaching and in the Community. She enjoys teaching learners in clinic. She has been an Examiner for the Medical Council of Canada, has the Physician leadership Institute Certificate and has held various leadership positions for the Agakhan Health Board of British Columbia. Aniz sits on the Medical Advisory Board of the ME/FM Society of BC, is very involved within the community with the Rotary Club and has been President of the Rotary Club of West Vancouver.
MDCM, CCFP (SEM), Dip. Sport Med (CASEM)
Sport and Exercise Medicine Physician
ICBC Registered Care Advisor (RCA)
Dr. Orenstein is a fellowship trained Sport and Exercise Medicine physician. He completed his undergraduate degree at McGill University, majoring in Anatomy and Cell Biology while minoring in Kinesiology. He then completed both his medical school and Family Medicine residency training at McGill University. Following his residency, Dr. Orenstein moved to Vancouver to pursue a Sport and Exercise Medicine Fellowship through the University of British Columbia, which he successfully completed in June 2019. He is certified through the Canadian Academy of Sport and Exercise Medicine. He is faculty at the University of British Columbia as Clinical Instructor in the Department of Family Practice. He has helped provide coverage for a variety of major sporting events including Ironman Whistler, IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships, Ultimate Frisbee National Championship, GranFondo Whistler, ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, and UBC Football.
Dr. Orenstein’s clinical practice includes management of a variety of conditions, including acute and chronic sport injuries, and osteoarthritis. He is an advocate of physical activity promotion, priding himself on helping his patients improve their ability to function, regardless of their baseline. In addition to exercise therapy, He has a particular interest in ultrasound guided peripheral musculoskeletal injections to help manage osteoarthritis, frozen shoulder and chronic overuse injuries, amongst others conditions. Possible injection options, depending on the underlying condition, include platelet-rich plasma, viscosupplementation, and corticosteroid.
Dr. Orenstein’s interest in sports extends well beyond his work. He previously played basketball at Dawson College, then was on the McGill University Rowing Team while in university. He coached high school basketball for 5 years in Montreal.
- Sport Injuries (Acute and Chronic)
- Ultrasound Guided Peripheral Musculoskeletal Injections
- Platelet-rich Plasma
Will see WCB and ICBC cases on an expedited basis (please indicate referral is for RCA)